Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The only hotel in Niagara Falls with no view...

...and it's the same one I'm staying in. I am seriously stunned that there could be a hotel this close to the falls and not have a view. It's weird.

The good news is that I already saw the falls today, so it's ok that my room has no view. Our original plan had been to go to Niagara Falls on Monday, but after some discussion we decided it made more sense for us (me, Alan, and his parents and grandmother) to go on Tuesday, and then Alan and I would spend the night here before going to Toronto on Wednesday to visit Jacki and John. This made a lot more sense than driving up to Ontario and then back to to NY on Monday, then back this way again on Wednesday.

So we drove up to the New York side of the falls this morning, and started our sight-seeing. The place we went is called Goat Island (apparently after a single goat that lived through the winter on the island when all the rest of the herd died), and from it you can see both the American Falls, and the more recognized Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side.

I have to say, the Falls are really impressive. I got some lovely pictures, but the cable to download the pics to my computer is buried in a suitcase somewhere in the car and I'm too tired to dig it out right now. I had never been here before, and I'm glad I've seen it now. We had a really nice day just seeing the sights.

The real highlight of the day for me was a boat trip we took on the Maid in the Mist. The boat leaves from a dock down the river a ways from the bottom of the falls, and goes close to the bottom of both the American and Horseshoe Falls. While the falls are gorgeous to see from the park above them, you don't get a real feel for the intensity of them from that viewpoint. To be on the boat at the bottom of the falls, rocking in the waves, the spray from the falls soaking everything, and the roar of the water falling drowning out everything else was just a completely different experience. It was just an incredible feeling.

After we had dinner with Alan's family, we parted ways as they went back to Geneva and we found our hotel on the Ontario side. Alan's new GPS was very helpful in finding our hotel...I think he's loving that thing. I think that overall we had a really good time in NY, and it was good to see his family. I always enjoy the time we spend with them, I'm lucky to have the in-laws I have! That said, I'm glad we're getting started on going home, this was a good enough length for a trip for me. I'm looking forward to getting home to my own bed, and cuddling my kittens.

Tomorrow we head to Toronto to visit Jacki and John, then Thursday we make the long trip to Moncton to spend a night with my grandparents. Friday is the big day when at last we are home! I will post more as I have things to share :)

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Looking forward to having you home. Checked the house on Saturday and everything was fine...
See you 2 days.

~Mum