Friday, August 14, 2009

Motorcycles are so awesome...

...and we never even started them tonight. But they're still awesome.

So I've been pretty much pacing the house all day waiting anxiously for my motorcycle course to start. By about 4:30 I had driven Alan nuts I think. I have been alternating between extreme excitement and extreme fear of failure.

As per normal, my fear of failure was completely unfounded. I think that overall, I was doing as well as anyone there. We didn't do a whole lot tonight, as it was only three hours, and half of that was signing waivers, doing introductions, and watching videos. There are 12 people in the class, and I'm one of three women (well, two...one of them was so short, she can't use any of the bikes there, and won't be returning). I actually knew one of the guys there, I used to work with him, so that was neat.

Our lesson with the bikes tonight consisted of first learning the major things to look for before you get on (lights working, throttle releasing properly, etc). Then they showed us how to properly get on the bike and stand it up, and then get off again. I know, sounds ridiculously basic, but they assume you know nothing, and I'm glad of that. It also taught me where both of the brakes are, which is really good to know.

Once we had mastered the safe mount and dismount, we paired up and took turns pushing our partners bike, in alternating straight stretches and corners. The idea was to start to get a feel for the balance, steering and braking of the bikes. We did that until it got too dark to see, and then watched another video.

Even though we never even learned how to turn the bike on, I already know I'm going to love this. I am very eager for tomorrow's lesson!

No comments: