Sunday, August 09, 2009

The last day

Sadly, this was our last day here in Montreal for World Con 2009. We took it very easy today, as despite how great the panels and events have been, you do get to a point where you just can't sit through too many more lectures. Knowing we had little energy left, we focused it on seeing Neil Gaiman as much as we could. He had 2 talks today, and we attended both.

The first was described as an interview of NG by a book critic, but they knew each other and it was really just a conversation between them, dominated by Neil. I think that was actually more enjoyable than an interview would have been. They talked about some authors they enjoy, and the joy of literature with multiple layers of meaning. Neil is really good at being thoughtful and thought provoking, with wonderful stories and bits of humor throughout.

The second session was intended to be a chance for NG to talk about Neil the person, as opposed to Neil the writer. We got to hear about Neil's beekeeping, former hobby of "growing exotic pumpkins" as he described it (which makes you wonder what on earth an exotic pumpkin is), how he got his dog, and how he met his girlfriend. It was, again, very entertaining. He's a great story-teller even when speaking about his own life, and really has a knack for leaving his audience in stitches.

We didn't attend anything else today, rather took some time to actually have a vacation. We just relaxed in the hotel for a bit, and went out for supper and walked around town a little bit. Overall I have had an incredible time, I am so glad I came. Erin has also had a good time, but I don't like to speak for her, of course. The World Con next year is being held in Australia, and I'm trying to figure out if there's any chance in hell of getting there (unlikely, but man that would be fun). Getting to see Neil Gaiman has been wonderful, and has left me with the impression that he would be an awesome guy just to hang out with. For some reason it is comforting to know that an author I love and buy a lot of works from, is also a clever, funny and nice guy.

The convention has also left me with a huge list of books and authors I need to check out, which is very exciting, and a renewed interest in writing. I am also looking forward to attending other conventions and conferences in the future, since this has been so fun and informative. There is one in Halifax next year (Hal-Con), and Erin and I are even thinking of volunteering for it.

Oh, that's another bit of happy news, while I think of it - Erin got an apartment! I've gone to look at a few places for her over the last few weeks, and her brother and dad were also looking at places for her. Her dad called Friday and said he'd found a great place, and Erin agreed and applied for it. We found out yesterday she got it, so that's awesome :)

Now it's bedtime, as I must be up early in the morning to get my flight home. See you again soon, Halifax!

1 comment:

Jacki said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun! I'm glad you had a good trip and made it home safely.