Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Going Home

Much has changed since I last posted. I apologize for the lack of updates...school has been stupid busy, and the boy was up this weekend :)

Returning to New York is a complete bust. I'm welcome to go back if I want, but they've gone from 6 month terms at almost $12/hour to 3 months at $8.50/hour. Yay for budget cuts. As much as I'd like to go back and do some field work, I can't move to NY for 3 months at those wages. The chance of having my visa rejected, and the $500 US that I'd have to put up front to get my apartment is just not worth it for $8.50/hour. For $12 I'm willing to take the visa risk, but I can make more than $8.50 at home.

Then there was the generous offer of my boss here. It was really good of him to offer, but for retail wages, I could go home and not have to pay $350 rent, plus groceries and utilities. Lindsay also isn't the most happening of towns, and I'd be bored out of my skull. All my friends from back home would be elsewhere, and all my friends here from school will have moved.

So, given all that, I'm returning home at the end of my course. Dad can't get me right away, so I'm going to Kingston to stay with my aunt and uncle, and visit the friends I have living there. I'll be home on May 10. I'll be out of residence on May 1. I'm going to find temporary work at home, and live with mom again, while I continue the hunt for permanent work. This is all assuming I don't find a real job before the semester ends, of course.

I can't wait to get out of residence. The morons set off the fire alarm at 12:30 last night. I had class at 8 this morning. That was not fun. Oh, and by "the morons", I mean everyone in this building except for my suitemates (and one of them is a moron too). Anyone who is too stupid to know to keep their door shut when they cook in the middle of the night so as not to make EVERYONE in the building have to go outside, doesn't deserve to breed. Most of the people in this building are good arguments for mandatory sterilization.

3 weeks to go.

No comments: