Monday, March 07, 2005

There is a story in my head

It has been there for a few weeks now. I'm impressed by it's tenacity, and its slow but steady growth.

I used to write a lot when I was younger. I wrote a lot of short stories, most of them bad, though I didn't realize that at the time. I love to read, and love to write, and I used to think to myself that maybe I would be a writer someday. As I've gotten older though, the stories in my head have been few and far between. I am also tormented by being able to start stories, but never being able to finish them. They always start out so well, but just kind of taper off as I lose where I thought I was going with them. The great literary visions in my head never seem to translate well to actual writing.

I have, recently, had a bit more inspiration than I have in a while. I haven't actually finished any stories, but I've started more of them in the last few months than I had in the last few years previously. I'm pleased with this, as I enjoy writing. This blog is at least partly a reflection of my desire to write, and have people read what I write.

The story in my head right now is bigger than most of the little inspirations that come to me. At random times in the day a new idea will come to me. My subconscious is thinking up a world, putting people in it and writing its history and mythology. It is still very sketchy and there are huge gaps in it, but I'm liking it so far. I hope this story continues to grow in my head, and I hope even more that it eventually makes it to paper.

No comments: