Tuesday, March 22, 2005

/sigh

Greetings all, sorry I've been neglecting you. Life has been lacking in inspiration these days. School is hectic, and I'm beginning to feel a bit burned out. On top of that, residence is making me want to kill people. It's been hard to think of something to write about.

In the few creative spurts I've had, I've managed to get a bit more work done on the story in my head. It's building up nicely in my brain, but it still doesn't seem quite ready to come to paper yet. I've written the opening scene, but I didn't get very far when I tried to go beyond that point last night. As far as writing goes, I usually have to let things stew in my brain for quite some time before I can actually write it. It will come when it's ready.

In other news, my job hunt continues. This is week 11 of 16 in my course. I've been applying for jobs since January, and I have yet to get an interview. It's getting a little depressing, and a bit scary too. Home for me is Nova Scotia...if I don't have a job lined up when I graduate here in Ontario, I'm going to have to return home. Now don't get me wrong, I love my home and wouldn't mind going back. That said, the job market there is less than stellar, and chances are I'd end up having to move somewhere else when I do find a job. This is inconvenient anyways, but the expense of having to do that is what gets me. It would be much easier, and cheaper, if I could just move to a job site directly from school at the end of April. My bank account would definitely like cheaper right now.

I've decided to give it to the end of this week. If I don't have anything by then, I'm going to speak to my old boss, Meg, in New York. I worked on an archaeological field crew there for two summers, and I'm in good standing with them. They're pretty flexible and easy going, so I'm hoping that if they still have room on the crew, they'd be willing to take me back even though it might be temporary (i.e. if I find a permanent job, it's just summer work there). They've always been understanding, and I think they'd be ok with that as long as I'm up front about it. I like the crew there, they've been good to me. I wouldn't want to mislead them and commit to a 6 month stay, and then quit in the middle because I found something else.

On the off chance that there are any appropriate employers reading this, I'm an archaeologist and geographer, with a background in prehistoric archaeology and geographic information systems (GIS). I'm more than happy to work in either of those fields, and to combine the two would be my dream job. Please feel free to leave a comment here with contact information if you think you have a position I could fill, or send me an email to the address in my profile.

Hey, it can't hurt, right?

No comments: