Thursday, January 27, 2005

If you post it, they will come

Or so it seems.

The third day of my much-loved blog has produced my first email. I posted an email address in my profile and said if you ask me stuff, I'll post about it. I suppose that was kind of a general thing to do, and probably asking for trouble if I'm not careful, but hey, I'm a big girl, and can pick and choose what I talk about.

So I got my first such email today. It was from a person from Pakistan, and the question was very general: "What do I think of people from Pakistan?" I was surprised by this question, but then when I thought about it, I was very general in asking for questions and topics, so I tried to think of an answer. I like to consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, and was upset to find that I really don't know a thing about Pakistan at all.

So, I went to one of my new favorite info sites, Wikipedia,and read what they knew about it. From my readings, it seems to me that Pakistan has had a troubled past, but are making steps in the right direction, and that is a good thing. I particularly like how the nation got it's name (this link will tell you more).

While I learned a bit today (and that is always a fantastic thing!), I can't say that article really does anything to give me an impression of the people themselves. As far as that goes, I think people are people, no matter where they are from. I try not to say that I like or dislike any specific group of people, as I think that sells individuality short. A person may be from Pakistan, Canada, England, China, wherever, but that is only a facet of who that person is. An opinion of that person should be based on more than that.

So what do I think of people from Pakistan? I think they are human beings, and as such are entitled to the rights and opportunities of every human. I thank that particular writer for the incentive to learn a little more, and think about an interesting question :)

No comments: